In this post, we’ll go over what you need to do to add Mpesa Xpress as a payment method and how to purchase apps and games on Google Play Store using Mpesa.
Google and Safaricom inked a working relationship with the introduction of Mpesa Xpress billing sometime in 2018.
Unfortunately, many people tried to add or buy apps and games but Mpesa Xpress was either unavailable or not working.
I can confirm that Mpesa Xpress billing is working and I’ve purchased apps and games without any issue at all.
Mpesa is widely used in Kenya and it’s very hard to find people willing to buy anything using their credit or debit cards.
To add Mpesa as a payment method on Google play store you need to have the following.
- A registered Google Account
- Android device
- Be a registered Mpesa user
How to Add Mpesa As A Payment Method on Google Play Store in Kenya
These are the exact steps to follow when you want to add Mpesa as a payment method.
Please note that you need to add Mpesa using your Android device.
If you try to add Mpesa from the web interface this will not work.
- Open Google Play Store and tap the 3-lines to your top left
- On the new User Interface, select Payment Methods
- Under the Add Payment method, you’ll have 2 options; Add credit or debit card and Mpesa Xpress
- Select Mpesa Xpress and wait for the verification
You may be required to enter a postal code and you’ll need to enter your Posta Postal code. Here are postal codes for various post offices across the country.
Here’s a step by step video on how to add Mpesa to Google Play Store.
Once you’ve added Mpesa as an alternative method on Google Play Store, you’re ready to start purchasing apps.
How To Buy Apps On Google Play Store Using Mpesa Xpress In Kenya
Now that we’ve already added Mpesa Xpress as a payment method on Google Playstore, let’s buy an app or game.
It is easy, convenient and fast.
- Search for the app or game that you want to buy.
- Open the app or game and you’ll see how much it costs to purchase the app/game
- Tap on the amount the app or game costs and this will open a new U.I.
- Select the G Pay method as Mpesa Xpress and tap on Buy
- You’ll be prompted to enter your email password if this is your first time making a purchase.
- Once your credentials are verified, Google will send you a Push Notification of how much you need to pay.
- Enter your Mpesa pin and automatically, you’ll be billed and the app or game will download automatically.
Here’s a step by step video tutorial on how to buy apps and games using Mpesa Xpress.
In conclusion, buying apps and games from the Google Play Store is super easy and fast.
It only takes a few steps to add Mpesa as a payment method and to buy any application that you want.
If you run into any issue let me know in the comments below.